We are back in person at One Tree Books, ready for the bookshop to reopen to customers on 12 April. Our guest is Roger Morgan-Grenville. He was a soldier in the Royal Green Jackets for 9 years and led the first expedition to successfully retrace Shackleton’s journey across the island of South Georgia. He was also a founder and first head fundraiser for the charity Help for Heroes. But he typically describes himself as ‘a passionate, but talentless, cricketer’
Our current reads – Suzie
Nothing Ever Happens Here by Sarah Hagger-Holt a Carnegie-nominated middle-grade novel for 9-12 year olds. Izzy’s dad comes out as Danielle, a trans woman. Makes it relatable, normal, funny, poignant
Julian Is a Mermaid by Jessica Love picture book about dressing up and the wonderful thing that is a grandmother’s unconditional love.
Reef by Romesh Gunesekera Tim Bouquet’s DIB; our book club (travel)
Crooked Heart – Lissa Evans, longlisted for the Baileys Women’s Prize for Fiction. Our June guest
Also reading the wonderful Lissa Evans – her new book V for Victory and its every bit as good as Crooked Heart which it loosely follows on from.
Meg Rossoff The Great Godden
Robert Seethaler The Field
Tim’s What’s Coming:
- The Mirror and the Light Hilary Mantel
- Utopia Avenue by David Mitchell
- Anne Tyler’s Redhead By the Side of the Road
- Miss Benson’s Beetle by Rachel Joyce who wrote The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry.
- Wisden Cricketers Almanac. First produced in 1864
Suzie: Bookseller’s British Book Awards Fiction shortlist –
- Hamnet by Maggie O’Farrell
- The Mirror and The Light by Hilary Mantel
- The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
- The Evening and the Morning by Ken Follett
- The Lying Life of Adults by Elena Ferrante
Talking Books is broadcast on the third Monday evening of the month at 8pm on Petersfield’s Shine Radio and than repeated at other times during the month