This Months Programme
In addition to talking through what has been read, what is coming up shortly and then a back-listed book, we have an interview with Ben Dark. Ben is a head gardener, journalist and landscape historian working at the top of British horticulture. He’s been described as ‘the future of horticulture’ by Horticulture Week, and more importantly ‘the millennial Monty’ by Gardeners’ World Magazine.
He has worked for embassies, cemeteries, heritage bodies and oligarchs. He has organized a private flower show for the Royal Family and helped to build gold-medal winning gardens on the main avenue at the Chelsea Flower Show.
This month’s books were:
- Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus
- Mother’s Boy by Patrick Gale
- Mother’s Boy by Howard Jacobson A Writer’s Beginnings (narrated) Audiobook (loo roll)
- The Old Enemy by Henry Porter (Firefly)
- Light Perpetual by Francis Spufford
- Strange Flowers by Donal Ryan
- One Day I Shall Astonish the World by Nina Stibbe
What’s coming up:
- Sea of Tranquility by Emily St John Mandel
- Elizabeth Finch by Julian Barnes
- Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus and in pb:
- The Island of Missing Trees by Elif Shafak
- Silverview by John Le Carre
Suzie’s backlisted, with extract from:
- Four Stories by Alan Bennett
A new edition of Talking Books is broadcast on the third Monday of the month at 8pm on Petersfield’s Shine Radio. It’s repeated at many other times during the month.