What will I hear on Petersfield’s Shine Radio?
Local stories, local voices and local information.
Only Shine Radio broadcasts the voices and stories of Petersfield people, amplifies the creativity in our town and connects the community 24/7. We also play great music and feature local personality presenters.
Shine Radio is home to unique local shows that celebrate the best in our town. For example, the P pod is your regular home of local personalities and real stories with Claire Vennis and Joff Lacey, The Brighter Minds Quiz tests your knowledge and brighten up your Saturday and Sunday nights with quizmaster Ian Crossman and Talking Books sees published author Suzie Wilde and bookshop owner Tim O’Kelly share their passion for books.
Who makes it shine?
The volunteer team at Petersfield’s Shine Radio is drawn from across the local community. We also partner with four local schools, the Petersfield Post and Petersfield Museum.
Does Petersfield’s Shine Radio broadcast local news?
Yes – as a trusted source of local news and information, we keep you up-to-date with the latest from Petersfield every hour throughout the day together with the UK and world headlines (half-hourly during Rise & Shine, weekdays 6am-10am).
You can hear the latest local news anytime at shineradio.uk – we update it every weekday.
What area does the service cover?
Our focus is entirely on the interests of people in our local community. We call this area ‘the Petersphere’ and you can see a map of it here.
What music will I hear on Petersfield’s Shine Radio?
Our brighter mix of great music is selected to appeal to a wide range of adults. You’ll hear songs that shine forever from artists like ABBA, David Bowie, Take That and Madonna. We also play the brightest tunes of today – Harry Styles, Dua Lipa and Ed Sheeran are never far away.
We also celebrate the work of local musicians from around the Petersphere in The Local Showcase. If you’re a local unsigned musician producing your own original songs do get in touch.
How can I listen to Petersfield’s Shine Radio?
On any connected device.
- If you have a phone, tablet or computer you’ll find us at shineradio.uk.
- Enable the Petersfield’s Shine Radio Alexa skill and ask your speaker to “Play Shine Radio”.
- On a Google Home device say “Hey Google, ask Petersfield’s Shine Radio to play”.
- We’re also on the main radio apps including TuneIn, myTuner and Streema – just search “Petersfield”.
Is Petersfield’s Shine Radio available on DAB or FM?
Not yet. Shine Radio listeners tell us they want to listen in the kitchen and the car so if the regulator Ofcom approves and we can raise the money this could be possible in the future. Feel free to make a donation to our fundraising.
How did Shine Radio get its name?
Our volunteers in Petersfield chose our name as a bright and radiant focus of everything we do. We sat in The Old Drum and refused to leave until we could agree on a great name.
We have a sunny outlook, our project attracts bright ideas and our reporting shines a light on local life.
With its strengths in community theatre, music and schools performance, Petersfield is a town that’s never shy of the spotlight and our very own radio station is a place for local talent to shine.
So Shine Radio is a great name for a radio station and now we’ve trademarked it for the town.
Why should I switch to Shine Radio?
The UK is blessed with a huge range of quality radio choices but only Shine Radio brings you local stories, local voices and local information every day. As a radio station made here in Petersfield we understand local life unlike any other.
Try us for a week and see what you think? And feel free to get involved. The more you contribute, the better it will be. You make it shine.
Where are your studios?
Petersfield is our studio. When you listen to Shine Radio you’ll hear the ambient sounds of Petersfield locations alongside local voices. Our modern digital technology allows us to record interviews and broadcast from just about any local location. It could be The Square, one of the local villages, a meeting room above a pub in the town or the homes of our volunteers. We’ve even made a programme on a yacht.
Who are the presenters?
We’re a diverse team that reflects our part of the world.
Young voices including Olivia Wilkie and Mia Webster appear alongside programmes hosted by more longstanding and accomplished members of the community such as Alan Cosh and Dave Williams.
- Every weekday morning, Rise & Shine starts your day with a brighter mix of great music and local information brought to you by friendly Petersfield voices like Alan Cosh, Kieran and Vicki, Emily and Ryan, Blake Swell and Noni Needs.
- Claire Vennis and Joff Lacey share conversations and stories with the personalities of Petersfield every week in the P pod.
- Mandy P shares music released and performed by musicians in and around Petersfield in The Local Showcase.
- Published author Suzie Wilde and One Tree Books owner Tim O’Kelly explore their love of books, the joy of stories and the craft of writing as they meet published authors, Tim recommends good reads and Suzie shares a forgotten jewel as her backlist choice in Talking Books.
- Celebrating all things quaffable, Phill Humphries and Mags Rivett bring you hints, tips, recommendations, information and interviews with local winemakers, vineyards, retailers and restaurants in Drinking with Phill & Mags.
- Laura Sheppard celebrates our local arts and entertainment scene, including interviews with local artists and craftspeople, performers, writers and designers in The Ticket.
- Lucy Davies celebrates Petersfield’s love of musical theatre in Showtime every Sunday evening.
- Queen of the borders, Claire Vennis, and King of the allotments, Steve Amos, share advice and expertise from the beautiful settings of their Petersfield gardens and our local allotments in Growing Together.
- Kate Fairweather meets the front line workers of the canine world in Dogs with Jobs. Admire the intelligence and skills of working dogs in Petersfield, meet the humans they work alongside and discover what benefits they bring to local life.
- Quizmaster Ian Crossman tests your general knowledge every Saturday and Sunday evening, 9pm-11pm, in The Brighter Minds Quiz. Bragging rights are duly awarded for a full house.
- Liss’s greatest country-loving export Tim Rogers presents two hours of classic and contemporary country songs and shares insights and stories from his encylopaedic knowledge of the music every Sunday afternoon, 3pm-5pm.
- Other presenters including James Birdseye and Dave Williams keep you company at various times of the week.
Find out who’s on when here.
Does Shine Radio make podcasts?
Yes – and they’ve won actual awards.
Many of our programmes are available here at shineradio.uk and on all the popular podcast apps including Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify. Just search “Petersfield”.
Can I join your team?
Yes – we welcome volunteers from all walks of local life. Contact us here.
May I advertise my business on Petersfield’s Shine Radio?
Yes – we’re big supporters of local business and welcome advertising or sponsorship from any organisation that needs to increase awareness and sales in the local area.
How do I promote an event on Shine Radio?
It’s free for any non-profit organisation. Our events guide is heard throughout the day and in the P pod. We also promote local events on this website and our social media channels.
If you run events we can arrange a login to our events database so you can enter the information exactly as you want it.