New cycle stands are being installed in Petersfield Town Centre this week.
There will be eight new stands in The Square, the three stands outside Mezzo are being upgraded to meet today’s standards and the seven stands on Dragon Street will be replaced with five new style racks.
It’s all part of a Hampshire County Council scheme designed to promote what policy wonks call “active travel”. That’s walking and cycling to you and me.
The money has come from central government and the work should be complete within a week.
An installation in The Square
The Dragon Street racks due for upgrade
Where to find the new stands
Other places to park your bike in Petersfield
- There are racks behind Madeleine’s Deli on Lavant Street and behind Picketts & Pursers in Ram’s Walk.
- You can lock a bike to the railings around The Square and outside the Post Office.
- A bike rack is installed outside the Tesco supermarket off The Causeway.
- There are bike stands outside Petersfield Museum on St Peter’s Road.
- The railings outside Waitrose are also a popular place for cyclists to tether their wheels.
- The new Dragon Court development includes additional bike stands by the ornamental pond.
What does this mean for you?
- Have you been put-off using a bike around Petersfield because of a lack of parking spaces?
- Will the new stands prompt you to switch from car to bike for your next trip into town?
- Will you cycle more because of this work?
Let us know in the comments.
Nope, there are places to park a cycle everywhere already. Perhaps if the cycle lanes of petersfield were not covered in glass and the cycle lanes overgrown with thorns, people might actually be able to get on their bikes. Although the air is so polluted these days due to antisocial motorbike riders causing a nuisance and people burning fires, so would probably be hazardous to your health. Winter is going to be horrendous with all the wood burners being installed.