Neighbours, Genevieve Hayes and Debra Harding talk all things American Thanksgiving to Noni Needs.
First Broadcast last year, 2021
RECIPE OPTION 1 – uses corn syrup
- 1 cup Karo Light or Dark Corn Syrup (if you can find it in UK)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups (170g/ 6 ounces) pecans
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust
- Step 1. Mix corn syrup, eggs, sugar, butter and vanilla using a spoon in a bowl and stir in pecans.
- Step 2. Pour the above into the pre made pie crust.
- Step 3. Bake at 175c in the centre of the oven for 60 to 70 minutes.
RECIPE OPTION 2 – uses golden and maple syrup
- flour, for dusting
- 500g pack sweet shortcrust pastry
- 75g butter, softened
- 100g golden caster sugar
- 175g golden syrup
- 175g maple syrup 3 eggs,
- beaten ½ tsp vanilla extract 300g pecan halves
- double cream, whipped, to serve
- Step 1 On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry and line it in a 23cm pie dish. Prick the base of the pastry case with a fork and chill for 30 mins, or until firm.
- Step 2 Heat oven to 190c. Line the pastry case with baking parchment, fill with baking beans and bake for 15-20 mins until the sides are set. Remove the beans and parchment and return to the oven for 5-10 mins until the pastry is golden and the base is set. Leave to cool.
- Step 3 Turn up oven temp to 200c. Use an electric whisk to beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Keep the beaters going and pour in both of the syrups. Gradually add the eggs, ¼ tsp salt and the vanilla, then whisk until combined. Stir through the pecans, then pour the mixture into the pastry case. Bake for 10 mins. Turn heat down to 160c for 30-35 mins (the pie should be golden brown and the filling should wobble a little in the centre when shaken). Leave to cool and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
For the pastry:
- 510g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 300g cold butter
- 6tbsp caster sugar
For the pie filling:
- 1 small culinary pumpkin
- 435g maple syrup
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1½ tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cloves (or 5 cloves, ground)
- 9 tbsp golden rum (optional)
- 9 large eggs
- 450ml evaporated milk
Step 1. Make the pastry by mixing the ingredients, rolling out and chilling in the fridge.
Step 2. Chop pumpkin in half and roast in the oven for about an hour. Remove from oven, cool and remove flesh into a bowl. When cool completely add the maple syrup, spices, rum and beaten eggs into the bowl and mix with a hand whisk. Then add the evaporated milk.
Step 2. Remove pastry from the fridge and line a greased pie dish with the pastry. Fill with the pumpkin mixture and bake in the oven at 170 for 45-55 mins. Halfway through check the pie and cover the pastry with tin foil if it is getting too browned. To check the pie is done insert a knife, which should be wet but clean and the centre will be just barely jiggly. Cool for 2 hours before serving with whipped cream.
Recipes from Genevieve Hayes