The annual local history exhibition will be held in Buriton Village Hall with lots of displays, photographs and information about life in the parish in years gone by.
There will, as in the past, be a wide range of fascinating displays of local interest, copies of all the Heritage Bank books for sale and much more …
There is to be a special focus on Buriton’s sports teams this year: cricket, football and tennis. If anyone has any old photos of any of Buriton’s teams, please contact the organisers or bring them along to the exhibition.
There are also plans for dozens of the fascinating photographs of the community which were taken by Buriton’s Don Eades during his 25 years as the photographer for the Petersfield Post to be displayed as a large ‘photo wall’.
Other displays will feature:
- hop growing and picking – activities which transformed the parish every year
- the Buriton and Butser chalk quarries and lime works – another local industry of yesteryear
- the local school – how things have changed over the last 150 years
- changes in leisure activities – not just the sports teams but also pheasant and rabbit shoots, early entertainments and social clubs
- how farming activity has changed – including the days of sheep rearing on the Downs
- the local natural history: birds, flowers, fungi and nature reserves.
The organisers are encouraging anyone with a connection to Buriton to come along to see how much of the area’s local history has been brought together.
The event is free, and people are being encouraged to bring any old photos, newspaper articles or other information related to Buriton.
If you know of anybody who might have any information or be able to help with the research, please contact Doug Jones on 01730 231326 or visit www.buriton.org.uk