Ahead of Sky Park Farm opening on Friday 21st May 2021, Victoria Noonan shares a family recipe with Noni Needs.
A fussy chocolate cake eater?
Only Victoria’s grandmother’s recipe can save the day in her household.
Victoria Noonan’s Grandmother’s Chocolate Sandwich Cake
175g butter or margarine
175g caster sugar
3 large eggs
2 rounded tablespoons baking powder 175g self raising flour
2oz (55g) butter or margarine
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
2 heaped tablespoons icing sugar
1 large bar Cadbury’s dark cooking chocolate 2 well greased 20cm sandwich tins
- Cream fat and sugar until light and fluffy. Then gradually beat in one egg.
- Sieve the flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl.
- Add a good tablespoon of the flour/cocoa to the creamed mixture and another egg. Mix thoroughly and beat lightly until the mixture is smooth.
- Repeat step 3 using the last egg. Should it appear a little stiff add about 1 tablespoon of milk and mix well. At this stage I add about 2oz (55g) of grated dark chocolate. It is then ready for the tins.
- Bake in the oven at 180°C (350F) for about 20 to 30 minutes or until firm to touch. Turn out and cool on a rack.
Butter Cream Icing
Cream butter until soft and gradually add in the icing sugar. Then add the cocoa powder. I sometimes add about 1 tablespoon of grated chocolate. When the cake has cooled, sandwich them together with the mixture.
To cover the top of the cake
Melt whatever is left of the bar, say about 4ozs (110g), although a good idea to save a little to grate over the top of the cake. Melt the chocolate in a basin over a saucepan of hot water very gently – don’t allow the water to boil – when thoroughly melted spread over the top of the cake. Allow to cool before putting grated chocolate over the top.
To visit the Deer Farm go to: skyparkfarm.com